Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Henrietta

Today was a good day.

It was my second-to-last day of work. It was sunny and 70deg after being cold and rainy for a week straight. The leaves were beautiful and driving in the car while listening to Jack Johnson is almost always a good idea.

I taught piano lessons to funny children. I dance and make weird voices throughout the lesson and we have good laughs. It's bad though because they've stopped respecting/ fearing me as their teacher.

My dad forwards me emails from his MTC companion's son who is serving in Romania. I read them because missionaries are suddenly interesting now that I'm soon to be one three weeks from today. He's kooky and hilarious and ridiculous. I emailed him once even though I don't even know him. He responded today! Great letter, a Romanian penny and a pass along card included.

I ate a fruit leather.

Today was a sad day.

Sometimes I have no idea what I am doing going on a mission. When I invite my friends to hear a message about the gospel, they're never interested. I just want so badly for people to know what they are missing...So they can stop missing it! If they just knew what was right in front of their eyes, they would hate me for not inviting them sooner. The gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives. It brings more happiness, satisfaction...fulfillment than anything else on this planet. It brings us closer to God than anything else. World, WAKE UP! Please wake up.

There are days when I can't imagine not going on a mission. There are days when I get a stomach ache from excitement. There are days when I realize how short 18 months really is; and how fast it's going to fly.

Then there are days when serving feels like the hardest, most unnecessary thing possible. How's that for flaws? I wish I wasn't so flawed sometimes. Still, today is one of those days. Am I ready to forsake my life; my friends; my freedom? Am I ready to risk everything for the Lord? I am and will always be ready to risk everything for the Lord. If we put our trust in Him, He will provide. I have faith. But sometimes it's easier to know something deep inside, than to envision it actually happening at some point.

On a lighter, less ambiguous note, I usually call Henry "Henrietta." He...ironically protests quite strongly to my endearing nickname. The other night he said he would start calling me Perrywinkle. (As if he was going to offend me with that??) I said, "Would you rather be a perrywinkle or a perrytwinkle?" He said A PERRYWINKLE! I questioned his immediate and opinionated response. "TWINKLE MEANS PEE." Can you guess what my new nickname for him is?

2 comments:

  1. mckenna clyde, you will make a fantastic missionary!

    the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best person ever. And stuff. And junk. Don't say and junk. Miss you.

    Also, you are already the best missionary that I know, so I don't know exactly what you're going to learn, cause it seems like you already know it!! :) WHAT.

    Loves.

    ReplyDelete